Monday, August 18, 2008

Behind The Music 2008 was great

I personally was not here for Behind The Music 2008....but the report from our staff and some people I talked with is that it was awesome! Great job KC and the Band!

I heard that many new people were here again on Sunday and that the concert was helpful for them to know why it is that we do certain styles of songs and why we even sometimes use non-church songs in our Encounter Services. I also love the creative elements we are adding to help each person have a reflection and response time to the message and worship they have experienced. Over the next few months you will really enjoy having that element in our worship experience. Moreover, those who are new to church and the whole worship experience can observe, experience and partake at their own comfort level and moreover in a way that fits their personality and style. Remember, not everyone wants to respond the way that you do!

I also noticed upon my arrival that our atrium area had a huge pile of supplies and food for the Matthews Help Center! Great job!

I will close today telling you that my 20 reunion was like a scene from the twilight zone. People I had not seen or even communicated with since graduation night walked into the meet & greet area and I had a hard time remembering names. I could recognize most of the faces....but the names were gone. However, slowly over the course of the first night; first and last names started coming easier and by the time the second night ended.....we were talking about things that had happened in high school that I had not thought about in more than 20 years. It was fun. Many of my close friends that I was looking forward to seeing were no-shows. However, I was able to hang with some people that were once apart of my life and have not been since High School. Very strange.....More than once, I got the response: "You are a Pastor?" and like at parties and cookouts now.....some folks decided that hanging with a pastor was not cool and avoided any long conversations. That was a little strange.

What was not strange was the way some people never change.....people were very much like they were in High School!

Today's Bible Reading John 20

The story of "Doubting Thomas" is a well known one to those who have been in church and really those who only know the stories that surround Christmas and Easter. Ever since I was a kid hearing this story....I thought Thomas got a bad rap. The disciples and Mary were not confident that Jesus was going to raise Himself from the dead. They were many times confused and when Jesus was crucified they were really confused and dejected. Mary was so down in her believing that she actually was talking to Jesus after the resurrection and did not recognize Him. (no one ever called her "Blind Mary"...although I think their was a song named that...)

My point is this....I like what Thomas did here. He had given his life to follow Jesus. Jesus was now dead. He would be willing to risk it all and follow with passion once again...but he would have to know for sure that Jesus was a alive. In verse 28 he, with passion, says "My Lord and My God!" once he knows that Jesus was alive and had risen from the dead. Many Christians today are afraid to allow others to investigate the truth of God. Many people themselves don't want to take the time to learn and investigate the claims of Jesus. However, we should never back down from allowing people to do this......because once they truly seek, truly investigate and truly learn. They too will say....You truly are the only way and you are God!

Moreover, I would much rather have a person follow Christ and serve in the church because they really know what they believe. That is a faith that will last and is not based on emotion and "what can God do for me?"