Monday, August 25, 2008

Killed.....Crossing The Road

On my way to the office this morning.....I ran over a squirrel. A car was coming at me in the other direction and about 20 yards before our two cars would pass a squirrel runs out in front of the other car on his side of the road. The squirrel did that back and forth jaunt in front of that car and then right as I was thinking..."Go back to side where you came from"....the squirrel darted across the lane into my lane. Thud! The little guy was struck by my rear tire on the right side. That means he almost made it. However, in this case, almost does not count. He is dead. He will not make his breakfast appointment and he will not see his little squirrel family today.

As soon as I hit the squirrel, I thought...."What a bad way to start and finish the day." My next thought was...."how many people today are starting the day out bad?" How many people will very soon have decisions to make that could be the difference between sadness and happiness. How many people today will get a call or email telling them of a loved one that has been in a accident, learned they were very sick or lost their job.

We never know what they day will bring. However, as I challenged us again yesterday, we can start each day off or end each day with reading God's love letter to us. We can read His Bible every day and allow Him to speak through His Word to our hearts. I don't know how many people have told me that they took the challenge in January and have been reading the Bible all year and it has been such a wonderful experience. Many have told me that they will encounter or experience something during the day and that very "thing" would have been addressed in their reading that week at sometime. They knew the truth of God's Word and it gave them hope, insight, wisdom, patience and whatever else they may have needed.

Are you reading your Bible and Praying? As I said yesterday....it is a simple "first obedience" thing that all of us can do. We have reading guides available for free in the atrium area and many of us are reading along together.....why don't you join the fun?

Today's Bible Reading 2 John
(how many times can you read one chapter and claim you read a whole book!)

John tells us a few specific things in this little book:

1) That real Love to God is that you walk in Obedience to God's command.
(see yesterday's message)

2)If someone teaches that Jesus Christ was not God in the flesh...they are deceivers and are anti-Christ.

3) Pastors/leaders who do not teach that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation...are not worthy to be heard or given time.

I love it when the Bible is clear!