Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Party WIth A Purpose

On Friday night our Student Ministry is having a big Christmas Party. They have over 120 students that will be having a great time as they celebrate the end of school and Christmas. However, the thing that caught my attention is that all the proceeds from the admission prices is going to help buy goats! Yep....buy goats. The money will be given through our global missions initiative and will specially buy goats for needy families in Africa. The goats are a big blessing to these folks but most can't afford to buy one. So....we buy one for them.

I was thinking of how proud I am of our great Student Ministry. Then, I started thinking about me and you. What if the greatest thing we could ask for and need was a goat? Makes our Christmas wish list seem a little different and some of our "bad economy" grumbling seem silly. These are hard times for many people. However, we are having a bad year...maybe two. As we move toward Christmas lets remember that 90% of the world's population are considered rich if they can eat 2 meals a day and has a roof that covers their head each night. I was also reminded of the simple truth of what is most important to have at Christmas last night when I was snuggled up with the boys and we were watching the cartoon version of the Grinch. As you recall....the Who's that lived in Whoville lost everything but still gathered on Christmas morning and held hands and sang.

I know that many this Christmas are not able to have and do what they normally do. I hope that we all can look past what we don't have and celebrate what we do.

Bring a friend on Sunday and Christmas Eve! I think that many people living in our Whoville need it!