Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Embarrassing Moment In North Florida

Last Friday my 10 year-old-son and I went on a Father/Son football weekend trip. We left Charlotte Friday morning and drove down to Tallahassee Florida to watch the Florida Gators beat the Florida State Seminoles. Because our trip was going to be quick and we would spend most of the time on the road or at the game......I decided to make it a cheap but fun trip and just stay the night at the nearby KOA. Peyton and I have done this before and he loves it. We take the seats out of the van and fold down the back seat. Then, we put a mattress in the back for an instant bed in a KOA. He loves the novelty of it and I love the price.

On Saturday night after the big game we pulled into our "spot" at the KOA. We were parked in the "tent" area that was right next to the huge RV area. I chose a close "tent" spot right next to the RV area for more safety and better proximity since we were the only people in a "tent" spot. We were parked next to some of the largest and most extravagant RV's I have ever seen.

It was pouring down rain when we arrived and very quiet. At 10pm we had just got settled in our "home away from home" sleeping arrangement when I decided to make sure that I had locked the doors. Not thinking clearly...I sat up and yanked on the inside door lever to see if it was locked. As soon as I did it set off our van alarm that I guess gets set when ever you lock all the doors. In the peaceful KOA setting of North Florida came ringing out at 10pm a loud honking noise from our van. Moreover, the head lights began to flash on and off while this piercing sound was going off. I jumped up and tried to turn it off from the inside....did not work. I put the key in the van and started it.. thinking that would work. All it did was set off another noise in between the horn honking.

By this time, the RV lights were coming on and the "shades" were coming up to see what the noise and commotion was all about. This has happened once before so I knew one way to stop the noise was to pop the hood and start yanking fuses out until the dumb alarm was dismantled.

So....I jumped out of the van to do just that. While getting the hood up in the pouring rain and the horn noise now right in my face I soon noticed that the flashing head lights were revealing the fact that I was standing there in my "boxers" and t-shirt. The Lord was gracious and I pulled the right fuse after the third one. By the time I got the thing turned off......it seemed like every RV owner was staring at me and shaking their heads through their plush mobile mansions. As I jumped back into the van soak-n-wet.... I saw that Peyton had hidden himself under the blankets and he mumbled.....that was so embarrassing. No kidding!

The next morning as we pulled out.....I wanted no record of the night to follow me home....so I peeled off the window decal that so proudly reads "Charlotte South Fellowship." Good thing this Sunday morning I can get a new Team Church vinyl decal to replace it! Guess what.....you can too! And they are free!

This Sunday morning I hope you will have worked and prayed hard to being a friend to our Grand Opening of our Nativity: A Mural Of Hope!

Today's Bible Reading Romans Chapter 9-12.