Monday, February 4, 2008

A Great Super Bowl

All across America people watched the greatest sport being played on the greatest stage. The Super Bowl is huge and last night was a great game. I know hundreds of CSF Home Teams had Super Bowl parties and hundreds more from CSF gathered in clusters of friendships all over our city. It is amazing to me what Super Bowl "day" has turned into over the last 10-15 years.

People go to Super Bowl parties for many different reasons. Some people go so they can actually watch the game, some watch for the commercials (by the way...they were lame this year), some gather just to be with friends, others want an excuse to have a party and still others show up because someone invited them. However, one thing is certain, whatever the reason for coming....they all leave knowing they had a great time AND everyone knows who won the game. The main thing....stays the main thing.

That kind of varied excitement of gathering is what we desire for our Sunday services. I believe these days we are having that at CSF. Each Sunday there is an air of anticipation about the experience here on Sunday. People are motivated to come for varied reasons. Some... really like the music the best, others the message, still others love to see kid's lives changed so they show up to teach. I have heard of many more reasons that people say they love coming to CSF. The point is that on any given Sunday, the reasons are varied but everyone leaves having experienced the main the thing. The love, grace and guidance of Jesus Christ in some form.

A couple stopped me yesterday after the second service and said; "we have not been to church in a long time, but, we were invited to come this morning by a friend. After experiencing the service.....we now know why today was the day we were supposed to be here!" With that said, they tearfully hugged each other and walked out the door. They assured me they would be back this coming Sunday.

As I looked around the Porch Cafe area I saw such a diverse group. People that I have known for more than 8 years, people who I know are not even Christians yet, people I have no clue who they are or where they came from, white people, black people, Hispanic people and the list can go on. All I do know is that we all come with some kind of anticipation AND most were invited by someone.......

I would like to challenge all of us at CSF.....take the time and invite someone this Sunday. It is an easy invite....we are talking about SEX!

Today's Reading in Acts chapter 11 teaches us that God wants his message to go to all people, of any race and any background. I hope you will join me in reaching out this week to someone who needs an invitation to a great Super Sunday this coming week.