Thursday, February 7, 2008

Spankings In School

At my Thursday morning breakfast meeting with my son, Peyton, we got on the subject of getting in trouble at school and what kind of discipline teachers should give for different "crimes."

I told him that when I was in elementary, middle and high school that each teacher had their own large paddle that they used if someone was misbehaving in class. He could not believe that teachers use to paddle their students. Of course, he soon followed with asking me if I had ever been "spanked" in school by a teacher. I felt like I was on that show "Moment Of Truth." I said...."yes, I had been spanked by a few teachers while in middle-school and once in 9th grade by the Dean of the high school."

However, I said , "it was only for talking and laughing while in class after I had been asked to be quiet." He said,"That is all you did and you got spanked by your teacher?" He was amazed.....

I then shared with him, that because the teachers disciplined us for the smaller things, then most kids never even thought about doing even worse stuff while in school. As we finished breakfast and headed to school, he still was not sure I was not just kidding with him. I told him to ask one of his "older" teachers if they had ever heard of such a thing. I am curious of his current teachers reactions and thoughts.

As I drove away from his school I began to think about the generation we are raising. We have a generation that for the most part is undisciplined and never held accountable for their actions. They are not required to honor authority or show respect to people in authority. They are praised when they question authority and "stand up" and then do what they "feel" is right....even if they are told it is wrong. They have no sense of moral authority or absolute truth.

For a second....I allowed myself to have a fatalistic, doom and gloom attitude. Then, at that moment,I heard God whisper in my spiritual ear....the hope and future of our kids is not left in the hands of the media or even government. The hope is in God and each person who will dedicated themselves to serving, leading and helping this generation.

Our Public School Impact ministry is up and running. We need you to help CSF make a life-long difference in our current world. Moreover, our Kids and Student ministries are serving over 350 kids and teenagers and need your help to make a life-changing impact.

Anyone can sit back and complain about "today's generation"....we need positive impact players who are willing to do something about their future. That is the CSF way.....we don't just talk...we act.

Today's Bible Reading: Acts chapter 14 is about DOING something to impact the world, not just talking about it!