Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Up & Down Crowder's Mountain

My 4th grade son, Peyton, was off school Monday AND Tuesday. So I took a personal day off and he and I went hiking at Crowder Mountain. What a great state park and it is so close to our South Charlotte area.

We were planning to spend the whole day together so we chose the longest and most difficult trail to climb to the top of Crowder Mountain. Two and half miles up over rocks and through the trees. Plus we spent as much time off the trail walking across fallen trees like they were balance beams, climbing vertical rocks to get to the top and look out onto the beautiful cliffs and Carolina scenery.

Needless to say, by the time we got to the very top....I was beat, my legs were tired and I had "tweaked" my left hamstring. "Man...I am getting old." For the first time in my relationship with my growing son, I could not keep up with him. He was climbing, running and jumping like a deer. It pained me to say it, but after two hours when we arrived at the top, I had to say...."Peyton, we need to sit and take a break. My legs are tired!" He looked at me like I had asked him to sit and recite poetry while looking over the vista.

He said, "Okay...you sit - I am going to go look around!" I said to him, "Don't get to close to the edge.....don't fall!"

For the next 10 minutes I sat there at the top and looked over to the east. As you know, yesterday was windy, but at that time there was not a cloud in the sky. With my binoculars I could see uptown Charlotte perfectly and many of the surrounding burbs and small towns. At that moment, I felt the unmistakable presence of God. I glanced over at my son who was still jumping around and then glanced back at the city.

Right then, I was reminded of the two passions that I know God has asked me to give my life energies and gifts toward. My family and CSF. I don't see those as mutually exclusive. I see those two great tasks as one and the same.

Why the new CSF Expand adventure? Because our families need a Fellowship like CSF! Our city needs churches like CSF to make an impact for Christ. What are you passionate about? What do you choose everyday to give your "one and only" life for? What legacy are you going to leave behind?

After we left the top, it took us another two hours to get back to my jeep. I was very tired, my hamstring was hurting, my surgically repaired knee was swelling up and because I did not wear the right kind of shoes...my feet hurt. However, the pain was nothing compared to the great experience and time I had with Peyton that day.

A great statement I live by and teach my kids is this: "Anything worth having is worth working hard for and there is usually a price to be paid!"

Today's Bible Reading: Acts 27

Question for you to think about and I will give you an answer tomorrow:

Why would the sailors who don't know Paul and know that he is a prisoner, even listen to him?