Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Apple Jacks On The Floor

Last night at 8:20 pm I got home from Football practice with my oldest son Peyton. I am the head coach and practice had started at 5:45pm....which meant we had left the house at 5:15pm. As soon as I walked into the house my two and half-year-old son, Brady, screamed "daddy is home" and he now wanted to play.

My wife, Kelly, gave Peyton his dinner and started him going on his homework. I washed up and sat down to eat. I was thinking I could catch a few minutes of Sports Center, eat and relax a few minutes. Brady would have none of that. He jumped up onto my lap and and said he wanted to watch Mickey Mouse and play. I tried to redirect his ambitions by giving him a dry bowl full of Apple Jacks to eat like dessert.

Instead of eating them he thought it would be more fun to dump them on the carpet and start throwing them into the bowl as a game. About the time I was ready to put him in "time-out" I realized I had not seem him all day and had not played with him at all. I looked into his big blue eyes and saw a little boy who just wanted to play. So I slid down onto the floor with him and we played a weird game of Apple Jacks basketball. At that moment, on this day, I made the right choice. Many times I do not. Being a parent is hard sometimes and we all make mistakes. Dad's have different challenges than moms. If you are a dad you know what I am talking about.

As a dad who loves sports I have found this site to be very helpful. Check it out and see what you think. It is an organization started by Tony Dungy of the Colts.

http://www.allprodad.com

See you tonight at our CSF Vision Night!