Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Barber Shop Theology

After a meeting this morning, I went to the barbershop to get my hair cut. I have been going to the same guy in this "old-school" barber shop for eight years. It reminds me of my uncle's barber shop in my small home town.

I know some of you are wondering why a suburban young pastor of a "cool" church goes to an old-school country style barber shop....two reasons. First, I have been getting the same style hair-cut since I first saw Top Gun in the 9th grade. Secondly, it is the cheapest cut in town. There is no way I am paying someone 20 plus dollars to cut my hair.

Anyways, as usual, while I am there you have the men who go there talking about everything from politics, sex, hunting, trucks, football and "religion." I ALWAYS just sit and listen and enjoy the rhetoric. I can close my eyes and be transplanted to my uncle's shop as a kid and teenager growing up.

Today's topic was the sad state of the school system and how the administration is letting the kids and their over controlling and whining parents (their words not mine) run the schools. They believe the teachers are helpless to discipline the kids or hold them accountable for their actions. Of course, the Tommy Knotts story came up and the sentiment in the shop was that a great coach/teacher of 24 years should not be fired because he defended himself and his honor to a drunk parent that was screaming at him through a fence. On and on....the conversation swirled.

As I listened to their talking...I realized that no one really had a good suggestion of what the solution could or should be. (Although one older guy in his 70's suggested they go back to spanking the kids and forcefully throwing them out of the "school-house.")

What is the solution to our apparent cultural problem with many kids today? I don't have all the answers, but I do believe it starts first in the home and the principles and values need to come from God's word. I believe the trouble we see in our schools and in our kids in general (even home-schooled kids) stem from a parenting issue.

I will give you a few verses to chew on while you contemplate your own parenting skills. The book of Proverbs says this about what the truths and principles in this great book can do!

Proverbs 1:1-2 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, the king of Israel. For attaining WISDOM and DISCIPLINE; for UNDERSTANDING words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair; for giving prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the YOUNG.

This Sunday we will mine the parenting truths of this book as we apply it to how we should be raising our kids to work hard and be responsible.

PS...If you are a CSF Player and attend the 10:30 service PLEASE sit up front. Our ushers had to seat a family of 5 that were guest...in the front row. Not good for your first time in a strange place.