Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Matter Of Perspective

Yesterday was one of those days.......challenging news around every corner. Stuff like our move into the office not going as smooth as we hoped with the technology side of things over in the new building. Things being harder than you thought. Stuff not going the way you planned. Money tight and gas prices soaring. Money tight and food prices going through the roof. Money tight and the economy limping.......you know the drill.

As I was watching FOX news (fair and balanced reporting) I was ready for the day to be over. As I sat their pondering all that was not going the way I thought they should...I found myself getting more and more frustrated. Then they ran the Fox News Alert report:

A Boy Scout Summer Camp had been hit by a tornado and four of those great kids were killed. In a moment four families were getting ready to get the worse news a parent could ever get! In a moment four families were going to have their world crushed and turned upside down. This Father's Day weekend, four dads would go to the funeral of their little boys!

While that was running through my head they showed more flooding in the Mid-West. I saw people's homes flowing down rivers. I saw neighborhoods just like mine under water up to the roof tops. I saw families just like mine huddled in a rescue shelter not knowing what to do or where to go....because as the one Father said...."we have lost everything we own!"

I whispered a little prayer for all those families and especially the ones who little boys had died in the tornado. Then I went and checked on Peyton who had a friend over and they were laughing and playing a game. Brady was snuggled up with Kelly watching Backyardigans on the couch and their was peace in our home.

I went to bed and could give a rip about the gas prices, the food prices and that our network connection would be a week behind schedule in the installation. I went to bed with a new perspective of how great today would be and how blessed I was on that night to have a home not flooded and a all my family healthy and alive.

Life is a matter of perspective.

Today's Bible Reading Philippians Chapter 2

Does your life imitate Christ? Is your life work imitating? What would our church look like if everyone served, prayed, tithed and was committed as you?

As a parent....what if your kids imitated your commitment to Christ? Would that make you happy or are you hoping they will find someone else to imitate when it comes to spiritual things?