Wednesday, September 24, 2008

No Gas

My wife called me yesterday at 4:15pm to tell me the news was reporting that many gas stations in our area were running out of Gas. When she called I was below empty and had planned to get some on the way to football practice. My first thought was.....the same news stations that call for blizzards every year and make people run out and get bread, milk and batteries.....have probably blown this "news-flash" out of proportion too.

However, on a gut feel I went out to get some gas. Sure enough every gas station on 74 in the Matthews area was out. Costco was out. Exxon, Shell, all of them.....I started to get a little worried. My jeep does not go far once it hits the empty sign. When my jeep started to "chug" because it was getting low I just headed back to the church hoping to at least roll into the parking lot. As I was on 74 south of 485, I noticed the gas station down from the church seemed to have cars lining up at it's pumps. I drove as fast as I could hoping that if I ran out....I could just roll in. When I got to the station, traffic was backing up on 74 with people not going to the station but just going down the road. With my jeep almost out and not wanting to run out on Hwy 74 I drove my jeep in the grass, over the curb and rolled into the gas line.

I was third in line for one of the pumps....I was hoping that the people in front of me would not take the last gas. I finally, got up to the pump. The only thing left was the premium at $4.24 a gallon. I did not care. I filled it up with relief on my mind. Finding a station with gas made me feel like I had won the lottery! Me and everyone else in that line would have paid $10 a gallon just to be able to get gas and get on with what we had to do that day. As I was pumping my gas....I thought, "this is crazy, I am just glad to get some gas and feel completely fortunate to be here.

Life really is about a matter of perspective. Many times what we have....we take for granted. However, when it is gone or is in scarcity mode.....we begin to miss it. We also are willing to sacrifice for or pay for things that we really deem to be necessary. What aspect of your personal life do you take for granted? What aspect of your job do you take for granted? What about church?

Would you perspective on some of these things change if all of a sudden you got a call and some said....you need to rush home because____________________ just happened.

Today's Bible Reading Luke chapter 7

Are you a "Just Say The Word" kind of follower of Jesus? Verse 9 says that Jesus was amazed or marveled at the faith of the centurion. The word used in the original language for "amazed" is a word that is only used here in all of the New Testament. Jesus loved this guy's faith. It made even Jesus stand up and take notice.

Are you a person who has faith when it comes to following God and His principles? If you know God has asked you to do something....do you do it with out asking questions or playing lawyer with God? God is looking for people who will respond to Him...."Just say the word....and I will do it."

Maybe the miracle you are in need of is not happening because you are not being obedient in your following of God's principles or maybe He has asked you to do something in faith.....and you are chicken. Remember, you can't soar with eagles when you are content to roost with the chickens!