Thursday, January 22, 2009

Best Meeting Of The Week

I had my normal Thursday morning 6:45am breakfast meeting today. It is always my favorite meeting of the week.....guaranteed! I have had a breakfast meeting with my son, Peyton, most every Thursday during school since he was in 2nd grade. I love it and most important he loves it. He will always remind me on Wednesday night that I have a breakfast meeting with him in the morning.

This meeting over the last few years has become more important as we have gone from me trying to keep his attention by playing the "Hidden Shell" game with the small used creamer containers to talking about grades, sports, sex, sports, friends, sports, God, sports, Church, sports, family business and whatever else may be happening in our families life during a specific week.

Once again while talking this morning I was struck at how fast time is going. I was also thankful that as Peyton grows older and heads into the challenges that Middle & High School will bring that he loves church and looks forward to it each week. Moreover, as he told me this morning...."Team Kid was fun and I can't wait to get to go to Pursuit."

I am thankful that our kids have a great kids ministry on Sunday and Wednesday. I am also very proud of our Student ministry and what we are providing for our middle & high school students. It makes a difference in their lives....

Here is the point of today's BLOG: As parents we must realize that the values we are setting in our home are very important. We as the parents are the greatest influence our kids will ever have if they are to grow in godliness. At the younger ages, they will value what you value and mimic the spiritual rhythms you live out. Moreover, we must help our kids and teenagers prioritize God and Church into their lives. This means regular attendance on Sunday and the learning of how to prioritize your schedule to make room for bible learning, fun, fellowship, service, worship, prayer and the like.

Great job Clint, Christa and Stacey and all the volunteers in the leadership you give to our kids! Great job Brad and all his volunteers for the incredible student ministry you provide. Together, parents and Team Church leaders, we can raise a generation that is passionate about God and dedicated to living for Him.

That does not happen in our kid's lives.....one hour a week on Sunday!



“Listen! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone.And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:4-9