Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Enjoying The Ride

Two times last week I saw the difference between mundane and excitement.... between newness and routine... between enjoying the journey and just trudging through it. The funny thing is that I saw all of these same reactions and attitudes at the same place.

Last week while our family was in Dallas visiting my wife's family, I took Peyton and Brady on our Christmas journey to downtown Dallas via the metro train. One of the stations is only a mile from where my in-laws live. Every year when we are there for Christmas, I have taken Peyton on the train to downtown. This was Brady's first time to come with us. When we got on the metro both boys ran to their seat and began looking out the window. The entire 25 minute trip was filled with laughing, smiling, pointing and the thrill of going over the streets, under the ground, along side tall buildings and the like. They loved it!

However, sitting in front of us, behind us and all around us were people who were not having as much on the train. They looked gloomy, bored, mad and not at all interested in the sights and sound of the train ride. I noticed this same thing on the plane ride home too. The boys peering out the window, drinking "free" cokes the whole ride and having a blast when we took off and landed.

Same journeys and rides were being had by all on the train and plane. However, the enjoyment factor and attitudes of those riding were very much different. Of course, I know the answer to the difference. Some people riding were going to work, some do that all the time, some had issues going on in their life. I know, I know, I know....but something inside of me wants to have the faith of a child and the thrills of a boy riding a train, every time I am doing something ordinary and routine. I have always thought that a right perspective and attitude can always overcome routine and even challenging times.

I have never wanted Sunday mornings at Team Church to become like a metro train ride or plane trip. All around us amazing things are happening and yet because we experience it on regular basis it becomes ordinary and mundane. This is why we work so very hard to provide meaningful and impacting services. However, I also know in my own life that if my attitude and purpose for coming each Sunday is not positive and filled with expectation that something good or even great is going to happen...then Sundays and Home Team and reading my Bible can become routine and lose their thrill and adventure. Same is true with just everyday life......

So as you start 2009 off......my guess is that you will have a lot of routine things going on in your life. What attitude and purpose are you bringing with you each day of the Journey?

What is Purpose?

"Purpose comprises those aspects of life that define who we are as individuals and the kind of life we want to live and person we want to become. It is who we are and not what we do." - Jim Tressel

This Sunday I will share with you how you can ride through 2009 with the thrills, adventure and smiles of a boy riding a train!