Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Picture Of A Disciple of Jesus

I first read this quote when I was in college. It was written in the journal of a pastor in Zimbabwe, Africa. He was soon killed for his faith and trying to lead others to Christ. I was a young 18 year-old youth pastor and was full of zeal, optimism and a risk taking faith that was willing to do whatever it took to honor God and change the world. Here is the quote:

"The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made-I'm a disciple of His! I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes since and my future is secure. I'm finished with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving and dwarfed goals. I no longer need preeminence, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, depend on His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer and labor with power. That's what it means to be a disciple of Jesus"!!

I am now a 36 year-old pastor with a good deal of real life under my belt. I know about reality and how youthful optimism can sometimes get blurred by the sting of life. However, when I look at CSF and what God is doing here I am still full of optimism, zeal and a risk taking faith when it comes to doing whatever it takes to live a life of full devotion. I mess up many times...but this quote is still the target I am aiming for!

What does it mean to you to be a "fully devoted follower of Christ...a disciple of Jesus? I dare say, if it does not match this young pastor, you are missing the best God has to offer.