Wednesday, January 2, 2008

National Treasure & Golden Compass

Well....I missed my 10am deadline. I know, I know....not a great way to start the New Year! However, I am running on fumes this morning. Yesterday, New Years Day, Peyton and I got up at 7:30am in Dallas, TX and went to the Cotton Bowl. Bad game for the SEC but fun to experience. I have not been asleep since then. We left Dallas yesterday at 6:15pm EST and arrived here in Matthews at 9:05am EST. (I beat my going there time by 5 minutes!....) It took us 14 hours and 50 minutes to drive home. I took a shower and was in the CSF office at 9:45am! So......I missed my desired deadline of 10am...but still out by noon!

Since I am basically brain dead...I don't have much inspiration this morning. However, I will tell you my views about two movies I saw over the Christmas Holidays. I saw The Golden Compass and National Treasure. National Treasure was really enjoyable and the Golden Compass was boring with a scattered plot and stopped without ever ending.

I heard on the radio driving to Dallas that some Christian leaders were advocating that Christians not go see the Golden Compass because the book was written by a guy who was a known Christian antagonist and was an enemy of C.S. Lewis....or something. Someone asked me why I went to see such an EVIL movie???? My answer.... because my wife wanted to see it after reading the book.

After watching the movie, I did not understand all the hype of "don't go see that movie..." It was no different than all the other movies that have come out that follow after the novels.

My second answer to why I went to see the EVIL movie......

I don't go to movies to learn and shape my theology just like I don't go to learn my American History. National Treasure did not influence my beliefs about American History and the Golden Compass did not affect my biblical doctrine.

Both these movies were rated PG-13 and did not contain any bad language or nudity. Again, in my opinion, National Treasure is a good family movie in the genre of Indiana Jones movies and the Golden Compass was again boring to me. However, I am sure if you like movies like Harry Potter, Narnia and Lord Of The Rings....you will like this too.

There you go....my movie musings. Tomorrow is back to normal!