Thursday, October 23, 2008

Spelling Test

Last night before he went to bed and then again at our weekly breakfast meeting this morning...I helped my son study for his spelling test. Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't? Me...the king of misspelled words... helping him with his spelling.

However, there we were in the restaurant going over spelling words. I would give him the word and he would write it on a napkin. He said to me...."I hate spelling test!" I wanted to say...."me too!" But I did not! I told him that spelling test were a way to make sure that each student studies and learns how to correctly spell common words. I reminded him that Test are designed to make sure he is learning the information. If he did not have Test....he and his teachers would not have a measure of what is being learned and what is not. Information that is not tested is an unknown quantity. You can say you know something....but unless you are tested....you have no way of really knowing if you understand it and really have comprehended it.

As soon as I gave him that little speech.....I soon felt the Holy Spirit whisper to me..."same is true with faith and other godly principles I say that I have knowledge of from the Bible."

These are "testing" times for many people in many different areas. Try not to begrudge the test...see them as an opportunity to prove your knowledge in an area and your ability to do the right thing.

Today's Bible Reading Acts 17 & 18

These verses show that Paul was a man who understood the information and theology of God and His ways. However, the Bereans were people who also knew what the Holy Scripture said and they would listen to Paul and then check what he said against the truth of the scriptures.

I am always amazed when I hear some pastors teach or read a book by a pastor and realize how incorrect their teaching is when compared to what the Bible says. However, people just take what they say as being true. That is crazy!

Moreover, we also read that Paul was tested by circumstances too. He would find himself "tested" to see if what he believed about God was really what he "actually" lived out.